Hygge – A Cosy Baby Cardigan

Hygge. Loop, London. www.loopknitlounge.comLoop’s own pattern range is steadily growing as we have another special pattern to introduce – Hygge. This time something for the little ones in your life, an adorable unisex cardigan with a beautiful textured stitch pattern and a buttoned seam.

**This competition is now closed – Congratulations to Sue Johnston who chose the shade Moonless!***

Make sure to read to the end of the post to find out how you can win a copy of our new pattern and a skein of Jill Draper Hudson in the colour of your choice!

Designed by Vibe Ulrik Sonnegard, you may know her work from one of Loop’s favourites, the gorgeous Labour of Love.  A collection of children’s designs, it typifies her style of texture and detail with outfits that retain their functionality and comfort.

Hygge. Loop, London. www.loopknitlounge.com

Hygge with L-R Steel Cut Oats, Teddy, Powder Puff

The name Hygge harks back to Vibe’s Danish origins and is one of those fascinating words that lacks a direct English translation. It describes a feeling of absolute cosiness and contentment and we think it is a suitable name to suggest the love that a hand knit jumper evokes.

Hygge. Loop, London. www.loopknitlounge.com

Hygge knit in Spruce. Hudson CW from top Cloud, Harvest Gold, Marine, Spruce, Jade, Daffodil

Hygge is worked from the bottom up with the sleeves and body knit separately, then joined to work the yoke in one piece. The clever addition of buttons along the seam from top to bottom also makes it easier to dress wriggly babies!

Hygge. Loop, London. www.loopknitlounge.com

Hygge is available via our online shop, and also as a PDF on Ravelry, or why not pop in one day and say hello!

This new pattern is also an excuse to acquaint you with one of Loop’s newer yarns Hudson, hand dyed by USA based company Jill Draper.

Hudson Rainbow! Loop, London. www.loopknitlounge.com

You can see from the beautiful texture of the patterns used in Hygge that this yarn has a great stitch definition. The high twist means strands that are smooth and soft, ensuring no complaints of itchy hand knits from even the most discriminating wool wearers! The feel of this yarn is almost spongy, making a firm knitted fabric that holds up to wear, with the added bonus of being machine washable! One skein makes the size shown which is 0-3 months and two skeins is enough yardage to knit up to the largest size of 18-24 months.

The colours of Hudson range from the soft shade of Cappuccino used in the sample and the subtle neutrals below…

Hudson. Loop, London www.loopknitlounge.com

L-R Steel Cut Oats, Mourning Dove, Charred Coal

…to bright rainbow hues and jewel tones.

Jill Draper, Hudson. Loop, London. www.loopknitlounge.com

L-R Copper, Blood Orange, Cranberry

Jill Draper, Hudson. Loop, London. www.loopknitlounge.com

L-R Jade, Shizuka, Emerald

Or these soft sugar tones, perfect for a baby garment.

Jill Draper, Hudson. Loop, London. www.loopknitlounge.com

L-R Jade, Powder Puff, Liz’s Irises

Hygge’s buttoned seam is also the ultimate way to show off some fun buttons!  Tech editor extraordinaire Rachel used the shade Spruce shown earlier, and you may have noticed the Red Riding Hood inspired scene on the buttons. Also available in red, these buttons are ideal for cute knits for children (and maybe some big kids too!)

Red Riding Hood Buttons. Loop, London. www.loopknitlounge.com

Red Riding Buttons shown on Spruce and Heritage Tomato

We can just imagine a row of bunnies or scottie dogs on a little jumper. These mother of pearl buttons really shine against the rich colours of Hudson.

Dog and Rabbit Buttons on Hudson. Loop, London. www.loopknitlounge.com

Dog button shown on Moonless and Rabbit buttons shown on Amaranthine

Perhaps use the contrasting colour of the thread on these stitched buttons as the inspiration for your Hygge?

Wood Buttons with Yarn and Hudson. Loop, London. www.loopknitlounge.com

Wood Button with Yarn (pink) shown with Marine

Or a soft grey with these simple cream buttons, would make a beautiful neutral knit.

Hudson and Buttons. Loop, London. www.loopknitlounge.com

Mourning Dove with Mock Horn Buttons (11mm Blonde)

These buttons with a cracked check design on one side look equally good on their plain colour underside – and they come in nine colours!

Hudson and Cracked Check Buttons. Loop, London. www.loopknitlounge.com

Powder Puff with Cracked Check Buttons, Pink

So now you are suitably inspired,  the good news is that we are giving away a copy of the pattern and one skein of Hudson in the colour of your choice! To enter, simply comment below letting us know what your favourite shade is in the Hudson (you can browse all the colours here).

Good Luck and Happy Knitting!

This competition has now closed. Keep your eyes peeled for more competitions in the future!

Tagged with: , , , , , , , ,
130 comments on “Hygge – A Cosy Baby Cardigan
  1. Amy says:

I love that pattern, I just found out I’m going to hey a little nephew soon so this would be perfect in Moonless, it’s such a nice colour.

2. Paulette says:

I really like both colors shown with the Red Riding Hood buttons, Spruce and Tomato Red.

3. Jules says:

I love the pattern and yarn both particularly the copper shade, it reminds me of a little red haired girl that could be a lucky recipient .

4. Bente Simone says:

Wow. Nice cardi, I love the side buttoning. And if I won the cranberry colour would fit perfectly.

5. Jill says:

What a lovely interesting pattern and practical shape. It would look lovely in any colour but especially in Heritage Tomato. Thank you.

6. Nicole says:

A beautiful pattern! I would love to knit it in the Steel Cut oats colourway. What a treat it would be to get to try this yummy yarn!

7. Nicole S. says:

What a unique cardigan! My favorite color would have to be Moonless. It’s a gorgeous shade.

8. vicky says:

What a lovely pattern. I love the daffodil colour but a Hygge knit in cloud would look perfect on my little girl.

9. Anya says:

I could tell right away who the designer is– her designs are beautiful and so distinctive! I’d have to say Moonless is my favorite, because it goes with our baby’s blue, blue eyes (with long lashes– why do the boys always get the pretty lashes?). :)

10. Ann says:

I just found out I’m going to be a grandma for the first time and would love to do this pattern in Mourning Dove since we don’t yet know if it is a boy or girl !!

11. Tracy says:

Ooooh, the choice!! Although as I undercovered each colour I thought “That one … No! That one” I finally decided that Shizuka would be my choice – a perfect balance of green and yellow which would compliment the beautiful Hygge pattern.

12. Karen says:

Beautiful little cardigan. I would like to knit this for my new grandson and I love the colour moonless.

13. Hanne says:

Lovely pattern and I would love to knit it in Shizuka.

14. Spruce is my favourite colour and the pattern is so lovely that I would like to cast on immediately…

15. Marie-Paule says:

Spruce is certainly my favourite colour and the pattern is so lovely that I would like to cast on immediately…

16. Laura Mazur says:

Gorgeous pattern! Today I choose copper as my favourite shade. They are all gorgeous though.

17. Abbie S. says:

Recently found out a friend is expecting, this would be perfect in Jade!

18. Nicola Morris says:

I’d love to knit this in a gender neutral green… the Spruce colourway, with these awesome little wooden leave buttons I have

19. Nicola Morris says:

I’d love to this in a gender neutral colour – spruce I think. And I have some gorgeous wooden leaf buttons that would go amazingly with that…

20. Jane Jones says:

Definitely powder puff, what a great name, for my new Granddaughter for whom I am knitting like crazy!

21. Beverly Hetherington says:

A beautiful pattern. I would choose to knit it in Cloud because the sun always shines above the clouds.

22. Anna says:

Its such a nice pattern and those buttons! The little dogs especially are very cute. I would love to knit it up in mourning dove, such a beautiful colour

23. Gale says:

I think Powder Puff would show off the detail perfectly!

24. Zara Maratheftis says:

Love the Cranberry! Would look lush for the winter!

25. charlotte says:

Lovely design, loving the spruce colour, very pretty.

26. Wei-Lin says:

The delectable Spuce! Great pattern, will have to knit it for a lucky little one.

27. Barbara says:

Oh too many choices! I’d have to make two; 1st one in mourning dove and the 2nd one in jade.

28. Cindy Smith says:

I love the Shizuka! But, if I were to win I believe I would have to knit this up in the Blood Orange.

29. Dave says:

I think a cardigan in Emerald would look great for either my nephew or niece.

30. Kat says:

Love this pattern and the button up is fab for the strange uk weather!! I know a princess who would look great in it, especially made in powder puff :) her mummy loves her in handmade :)

31. Amy C says:

My good friend, the mum-to-be, is definitely a dreamer, so I think Cloud would be a great shade for her new arrival!

32. Katja says:

Oh wow this is possibly the cutest sweater I have seen so far and it would be perfect for my little boy. He is now growing out of its Mignon :-). In order to match his eye colour I would go for Moonless. Loving it!!!

33. Sarah says:

Ooh, I love Emerald. Perfect don’t-know-whether-it’s-boy-or-girl-flavoured-yet colour to get started for my best friend’s September baby!

34. Wow – lovely pattern! My favourite colour is Mourning Dove.

35. Orla says:

I really like Cloud, also perfect for don’t know if it’s a girl or boy!

36. Linda Pankhurst says:

I love the pattern, and would do it in Powder Puff pink for my niece……

37. Isabel says:

Mourning Dove would be my choice – a sad name but a lovely colour and perfect boy-or-girl choice for my second baby due in August (I should just have time to knit it once I’ve finished the Madeline Tosh blanket) – I’m determined baby no2 should have a few special things made just for him or her…

38. RENE WALKIN says:

I am LOVING Amaranthine-what a fabulous colour to cheer up winter days! Gorgeous pattern.

39. Sheila Hayes says:

Absolutely love the Marine, reminds me of the seaside. A friends daughter is having a baby soon so would be an ideal gift. Xx

40. Martin says:

What a super pattern and I love the side opening. So practical.

41. Carol says:

lovely pattern – so sweet for a little girl!
    i would knit it in cloud

42. Sue says:

So many beautiful colours ideal for baby wear as well as for bigger babies! I would choose Mourning Dove, so delicate…

43. Estelle from Cambridge says:

Thank you for this competition. I woul choose Powder Puff. Perfect for my baby daughter.

44. Ber says:

I just love the Marine colour and with the pink buttons it’s just perfect.

45. Kate says:

I love Steel Cut Oats and what a great name for a colourway!

46. Sylvia Jordan says:

Great pattern! Love the marine colorway.

47. Julie T says:

Cloud is beautiful.

48. Rhian Haden says:

This is a beautiful pattern and I’m very tempted to make it for my 15 week old baby girl, Martha :-). I would choose the ‘spruce’ colourway if I was the lucky recipient. Martha looks likely to be a red head just like her mother, and green is a great colour for redheads!

49. Monica says:

Hi I love this pattern I wish there were bigger sizes so I could knit it for my nephew that is nearly 5 :) my favourite colour is mourning dove but I will not kick a charred coal out of bed either

50. Rose says:

I love the Marine colorway!

51. Jan says:

MY favorite is amaranthine, but for a baby, oh that tomato color! Love the pattern and will knit it for several babies on the way!

52. Suncica says:

Blood Orange is so full of sun and softness !

53. Michele says:

Love the look of the lucky Jade colour. Great for a boy or girl and good associations in the symbolism of the stone.

54. Meghan says:

What a sweet sweater! Such a classic. I love all the colours, but Spruce really speaks to my turquoise/teal loving heart. Swoon! xo

55. elanie says:

This little pattern is really beautiful and would look great in Moonless !

56. Gemma says:

So cute! I think it would be lovely in Cloud.

57. susan berger says:

love it! Having a new granddaughter in london next week; will be there end of may…see you then!!!

58. Kath says:

That was tough to pick just one! So many gorgeous shades but I think this pattern would look just fantastic in copper.

59. Brie says:

I love mourning dove – think it would suit my little guy just perfectly! Such a fab pattern – definitely going on my to-make list!

60. Jan Horne says:

I would love to make this sweater for my new Great Nephew Harrison, in Moonless, to match his gorgeous big blue eyes. Yes, I’ve fallen in love, with him, and the sumptuous ‘Hygge’sweater!

61. Millie says:

I love this pattern. I think my 3 little granddaughters would look adorable in various sizes all knit in Marine.

62. Jan Horne says:

I would love to make this gorgeous sweater for my new Great-Nephew Harrison, in Moonless, to match his gorgeous big blue eyes. Yes, I am in love, with him and this sumptuous sweater!

63. Michele says:

I just love the morning dove color for either a boy or a girl!

64. Caroline says:

It would have to be mourning dove for me – a dedicated neutral lover with a ginger baby, perfect!

65. Linda says:

I love the charred coal and the pattern is beautiful all the colours are stunning

66. Jocelyn Pearl says:

This pattern is adorable and I would love to make it for my 4 month old grandson! I love the color amaranthine!

67. Tess Davis says:

Ooh, it has to be copper. Holding a little one’s hand as they run through the autumn leaves wearing a beautiful hand-knit.

68. Angela says:

I’d love to do that in Marine for an about to appear grandson!

69. Kate Duncan says:

Just love charred coal. It would blend with so many other colours. Jumper is so cute for a wee one.

70. Rebecca says:

The jade is gorgeous and would make a lovely jumper… But who are we kidding? All the colours are beautiful!

71. Kate Duncan says:

Just love Charred Coal but maybe Mourning Dove is nicer for a youngster. Jumper will look so good on a wee one

72. Debbie says:

OOOOH! I love the texture stitches of this little sweater! I would love to knit it in Marine or Liz’s Irises– my favorite of the Hudson colors is definitely Shizuka, but I’m not sure how that would look on a wee one.

Thanks for the chance to win!

73. Sue says:

My daughter’s best friend Holly has just had a second son, born last week. Last time I knitted a wrap over which had some pink in the mix,which didn’t pass muster, this time I’ll knit hygee in Moonless. It’s a stunning colour.

74. Lori Lach says:

I would love to make a little sweater in Lizzie’s Irises for my baby godson. I think the lighter color would show the stitch definition beautifully and the side buttons would make it a real hit with his Mom!

75. Andrea Brooks says:

I’m just in the process of thinking which little cardigan to knit for my friend’s first child. The baby is due next month (so not much time left – I really need to start knitting). I just love the beautiful texture of the Hygge cardi and the buttons make it practical, yet so sweet looking. If it was for my child I’d choose a rich, warm colour. But as my friend likes subtle colours I would knit it in something natural and neutral – like Steel Cut Oats. I wish this cute cardi came in bigger sizes, too – my own son is 4 and he has recently outgrown his favourite zigzag cardigan!

76. Ivy Sprague says:

Amaranthine is beautiful – perfect for my good friend, who’s expecting her first daughter in October!

77. Naomi Bowie says:

Jade, for a precious first grandchild.

78. Such a cute little cardi! So hard to pick a colour, love them all! Mourning Dove might be my favorite though :)
    (or Steel cut oats? or Cloud? or Charred coal? aaaaaah, I need help ^^)

79. Carrie Taylor says:

The pattern is really unusual and so cute, I was spoilt for choice when I saw all the beautiful vibrant colours, if I was knitting for a girl I would choose the Heritage Tomato with those lovely buttons and for a boy it would have to be Marine

80. Dora Dreyfus says:

All the colours are fabulous, but for the delicate skin of a baby, I go for soft not too bright colours. This is for a special baby being wanted for 10 years.

81. Jocelyn says:

Our grandson Henry would look wonderful wearing the Hygge/Hudson country squire look and his mother would enjoy the slightly retro vibe of the colour, Spruce. Thank you I have been looking f0r the perfect sweater pattern and wool.

82. mrs robinson says:

Such a lovely pattern… would look a dream in cloud, a difficult choice but perhaps my favourite of all those delicious colours for this knit

83. Maureen Lawrence says:

I love Cloud – it’s unisex and will show the stitch definition beautifully.And my eighth grandchild is due in November……..

84. Emma says:

I love the cloud colourway, the pattern look lovely.

85. Ingrid says:

My niece is expecting and this cardigan looks great for boy or girl and so would like to knit in blood orange which I think would be really jolly

86. MEgan says:

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the Cypress colourway, I think it would look beautiful on any baby.

87. Kimberley Buergel says:

All of the colors are gorgeous but I think I would make this in Cloud. Love the pattern!

88. Joan Siegel says:

I love babies I bright, vibrant colors and would love to knit this jumper pattern in Heritage Tomato!

89. My new niece Sophie Emma,born last night would love this cardie in pretty pink please.
    I would love knit it for her!

90. PS so that would be powder puff please but amaranthine would be good too as her Mummy Claire loves purple and it looks such am amazing shade!

91. Angela says:

I love powder puff but would probably go with cloud for my sister’s baby which is due later in the year (gender unknown!)

92. Jackie says:

absolutely love Amaranthine, my dearest friend is about to be a granny again, and this is her favourite colour! such a special little cardi, would love to make one

93. Erika Bloor says:

This pattern is a wonderful addition to the Loop library. I’ve not tried this yarn but the colours shown here are awesome! As tribute to the beautiful spring colours everywhere at the moment, I would choose the gorgeous blue of Liz’s Irises.
    Btw, I love your button / yarn matchings : I’ve realised that the choice of button can make or break a finished item.

94. Elyse Meltz says:

wonderful pattern and I have 2 babies to knit for soon. My favorite color is spruce.

95. Marcia says:

I love so many of these colors! But for my beautiful granddaughter Braelyn, I would make it in powder puff with those gorgeous buttons, too!

96. julie says:

Just love this pattern and guess what our first grand child is due to be delivered on Wednesday 15th of May by c section!!!!. The colour would have to be POWDER PUFF I leave you to guess why.

97. Daniela says:

Cardigans for tiny humans are usually not so rich, so it’s nice to see something diffent once in a while: it’s very lovely!
    Also (and alas!) there are so many lovely shades to pick up from, but if I really have to choose one only, I guess I’d go for Cloud.

98. Giulia says:

I love Liz’s Irises, so beautiful!

99. Jessica says:

Mourning Dove has to be one of the most elegant greys I’ve ever seen!

100. Teigan says:

I would love to knit this gorgeous cardigan in Cranberry for my newest baby nephew who is due later this year!

101. Lovely pattern. i would love to knit it in the shade called Teddy. My niece has just adopted two lovely little boys, would love to make them one each.

102. Anne Marie says:

My favourite shade is Amaranthine but as I don’t yet know the ‘flavour’ of the expected grandchild yet, think the Jade might be a safer bet.

Yarn looks fabulously soft.

103. Anne Marie says:

I think I would have to pick Charred Coal from all these lovely colors to knit this gorgeous sweater for my brand new baby boy.

104. Merry Fenton says:

I love the cranberry with Liz’ Irises as a close second. I have just the baby to knit this sweater for. : )
    wahoomerryf on Ravelry

105. Kari says:

I love the Steel Cut Oats color! I have a new niece or nephew coming in November and he or she will definitely have this sweater.

106. ruth davies says:

Luscious wool and adorable pattern! I will be knitting one or two of these :-)

107. ruth davies says:

Cypress would be my first choice for the colours!

108. Susie Blake says:

Blood orange, I think! A lovely sunny colour, but do love all the other colours, too, so the choice is difficult…

109. Gemma says:

Love this textured

110. Gemma says:

Live this textured pattern would look great on boys and girls. I will be making it for my new baby boy in electric violet to go with his electric blue eyes!

111. Marnie says:

Oh, I would love to knit it for my new baby girl in Emerald.

112. Lisa says:

So cute ! And the capuccino colour is somptuous !

113. Claudia Horner says:

Liz’s Irises is a rather swoonable color, and could work for a boy or a girl. Thanks for spotlighting this beautiful yarn!

114. Chris says:

Liz’s irises is a beautiful colour and my friend Liz has a 10week old bby so that’s my choice! Those cute pink yarn buttons would be a great match too.

115. Magnhild says:

What a beautiful cardigan. Powder Puff would be perfect for my sweet little girl who turns one in a couple of weeks :-)

116. Kate says:

I really love the soft glow of ‘Cloud’. It would look stunning with some driftwood buttons in that gorgeous pattern.

117. Sarah says:

I have been a keen knitter for several years now and Loop was a favourite haunt of mine when I worked in London, I’ve missed it and must plan a special visit soon. I recently found out that I am expecting my first baby and I have been scouring the internet in search of a cardigan pattern for a newborn that I can pour my love into whilst I wait for their arrival in November! When I saw this week’s newsletter from Loop I couldn’t believe my luck. A Cosy Baby Cardigan is absolutely perfect and I would love to knit it in Mourning Dove, a beautiful grey blue shade that would suit my baby, whether it is a boy or a girl!

118. Sue Sutherland says:

Loving the steel cut oats colourway!

119. Tracey Dawkins says:

I would love to make this in mourning dove it’s a beautiful shade and a gorgeous pattern.

120. Frauke says:

Simply love the riding hood and wolf buttons but that’s not the question. My favourite colour is Cypress – exactly the right thing for the soon arriving baby of a friend :-)

121. Suzanne says:

I have many incoming babies but I’d love this for my incoming niece, odds are a flaming redhead, her mum loves neutrals so maybe cloud or mourning dove to wrap her in cosiness with a flaming wisp of hair

122. Marlies says:

The colors are all lovely, but since I have to choose one, I’ll go for cranberry :)

123. Melina says:

This pattern is so beautiful, I’d love to knit it, and definitely in spruce.

124. Elke Rokkas says:

I have two expectant friends that I really must get knitting for – I love the Steel Cut Oats colourway and a gender neutral and kind to all baby ski tones colour.

125. Andrea B says:

I’d have to go with Steel Cut Oats and the newest babe is a nephew. As a fellow Dane, I must say the heritage comes through well in the pattern.

126. Monica f says:

I love the new pattern! Would be perfect for my blue eyed baby in Liz’ s Irises.thanks for the giveaway,

127. Caeolyne says:

I think any baby would look beautiful in a sweater made out if Mourning Dove

128. Tammy says:

I have used Jill Draper before….ooh so nice.

129. Johanna says:

So many lovely colours! Cranberry would be my choice.

130. janice susan urffer says:

Teddy is my favorite but they are all beautiful would love to win and thanks for the chance.

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "Hygge – A Cosy Baby Cardigan"
  1. […] Pattern: A Cosy Baby Cardigan. […]